Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Putting the Hurt on Avatar



Yesterday the nominees for this year's Academy Awards were named and the films that James Cameron (that's him on the left) and Kathryn Bigelow directed were each nominated for nine awards.

The funny thing about all this; nay, the ironic thing, is that Cameron and Bigelow were once married! Like years ago! Pre-Titanic!

Cameron is responsible for Avatar, a movie I refuse to see on principle; the principle being that I don't watch films starring blue people living on a planet called Pandora.

Bigelow directed The Hurt Locker, a movie about U.S. soldiers who defuse roadside bombs in Iraq. This film has earned its place on my list of all time favorite movies. I bought the DVD and I've watched it three times so far and plan to view it many more times. It just keeps getting better.

Another funny thing is I've never been a Bigelow fan and have always enjoyed Cameron's movies. Go figure! Have they changed or have I?

Of course this year I'm rooting for Bigelow. The media is painting this contest as having just two contenders. Will another director/film sneak in between the two former spouses to steal the Oscar?

Stay tuned.

No comments: