Thursday, December 08, 2005

Commercial News

I hate myself for it, but I admit to watching news programs on the old time networks like CBS, NBC and ABC.

I watch CBS more than the others and I can't figure out why I do it because invariably they have a feature that infuriates me.

Like this morning on "The Early Show" they showed a taped intervention. A family gripped in the horror of their teen-aged daughters addiction to drugs and alcohol actually permitted them to tape the intervention. Imagine! Sharing their shame on national television. How brave they are and how noble to allow us to watch!

There was also to be a segment on "dry eyes," (that I missed) and why that medical condition is much more serious for women because of what it might really mean.

There are usually segments on things in your home that are just hanging around waiting to kill you or your defenseless children. Do you know how easy it is to pull a refrigerator down on your head?

There are also clips from people who have witnessed a news item, as in the two people they interviewed this morning who were on the plane when the bipolar traveler lost his marbles and started screaming he had a bomb in his backpack. Good way to get yourself killed. What else can you say about that especially if you were just another witless passenger?

I am ashamed I will still be watching these shows and getting mad. Old habits die hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's best to watch the news with commercial interruption. It serves as a constant reminder of what is really important: As long as we keep buying what these commercials are selling we will keep the economy healthy so we have the capital to deal with all the crimes, injustices and disasters they're reporting.

It's true: I've turned into a Republican by default. Somebody shoot me.