Sunday, May 02, 2010

Race to Crazy Town

Against my better judgment, I watched the Run for the Roses yesterday, something I don't usually do.
The track was muddy and by the end of the race all the horses were the same color. I wondered how they could see anything; they must have had mud in their eyes.
I don't like to see the jockeys whipping them as they come down the stretch. Sure they're just dumb animals, but they should know better than to beat an animal senseless. And what do they do when they're not racing? Stand on people's lawns holding lanterns?
Then, as I saw the owner of Super Saver button his suit jacket, I realized this is just a race for rich white men and their rich white families and people who like to wear hats.
Sure, sure I know there's a whole business around this thoroughbred racing gig, but still. I find it distasteful. It makes me a bit sick to my stomach.
And what's with the winning jockey? Calvin Borel? Can't someone buy him a set of teeth? I've never seen anyone happier to win anything. You didn't do it, Cal. Hate to tell you. It was the horse.
Now go grab your lantern and get back to Richie Rich's lawn.

No comments: