Friday, February 26, 2010

Xtreme Death

A 26-year-old XGame medalist named C.R. Johnson died yesterday. My condolences to his family and friends.

He was skiing in Squaw Valley and fell on the rocks, sustaining blunt force trauma to his head even though he was wearing a helmet.

I guess you can say he died doing what he loved to do, but I think it's a shame that he had to die so young.

Five years ago he sustained a life threatening injury when he collided with another skiier and spent a month in the hospital relearning the basics.

Do we say, 'Good for you, C.R., getting back out on the slopes again'?

Are extreme people addicted to adrenaline highs? Maybe because I'm not one of them I don't understand it. Should there be interventions for these people just like there are for other kinds of addicts?

Julia Mancuso, who was skiing in the Giant Slalom for the U.S. yesterday, twittered, "This last run is for CR Johnson. Gonna rip it for you!!!”

She lost.

No comments: